[Advaita-l] 'world' is not the mental creation of tiny soul !!

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Mar 25 03:39:30 CDT 2014

praNAms Sri Balagopal prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Verse 230 of Vivekachudamani - 'sadbrahmakaryam...prajalpah ' - is an
interesting one. When 'brahman' is the material and efficient cause, are
we not strengthening duality when we emphasise on the 'tinyness' of 'jiva'
etc.?

>  No, OTOH, brahman's abhinna nimittOpadAnaKAraNa upholds the vedAntic
declaration that brahman is ekamevAdviteeya and he does not require any
external force to become both efficient & material cause of this jagat.
And the jeeva cannot do this 'vyAkaraNa' on its own, it can only stay in
created jagat to experience its karma phala.

By doing so are we getting out of 'ignorance' or are we getting deeper
into it?

>  it is part of veAnta jignAsa prabhuji..hence we have 555 sUtra-s and
bhAshya...it is not all about 4 mahAvAkya-s though ultimately realization
of 'ekatva' behind all these 'nAnAtva'.

Anyways Bhaskarji is still waiting for some pertinent quotes from the
'prasthanatrayi' and Shanakara Bhashyams showing that the world is  the
creation of the 'tiny jiva'. Hope members who are thorough in the
scriptures will help.

>  even if someone quotes out of context about jeeva's creation of jagat
from mAndUkya, kArika bhAshya etc. the fact remains intact that when it
comes to creation context (srushti prakriya) brahman is the ONLY cause and
this tiny soul would not come into picture at all. Shankara is quite clear
in saying this :  yat sarvajnaM sarva shakti brahma nitya shuddha buddha
mukta svabhAvaM shAreerAt adhikaM anyat tat vayaM jagataH srashtru
brUmaH,,,,shAreerastu anevaM vidhaH.  For the shankara siddhAnta follower,
there is no more evidence required from prasthAna traya bhAshya (though
there are plenty) to realize that brahman is the ekamevAdviteeya kAraNa
for this jagat.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar