[Advaita-l] Creation & Creator

V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Tue Jun 17 11:35:59 CDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 8:52 PM, H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <

> Sri Vidyashankarji wrote
>

> <<  Please note that avidyA is also constantly said to be anAdi in vedAnta
> discourse. Obviously, this is never meant in the same sense as saying that
> brahman is anAdi.>>.
>

>  What exactly is the difference as far as “ anaditva “ is concerned. Please
> clarify. The only difference is that avidya is subject to sa-vikara,
>  sa-avayava, sa-anta ( in parts ) etc. Otherwise in so far as anaditva is
> concerned, I thought there was no difference from the “ anaditva”  of
> Brahman . Though avidya is considered to be sa-anta , because it is
> destroyed on the rising of jnana, still it is only in respect of the
> particular jiva only. In the macro sense, it continues and is ananta also
> from that perspective. When it is remembered that it is the Shakti of
> Brahman, it automatically means it also is anadi and anata just as Brahman
> , but again with modification etc.

With regard to 'avidyA' apart  from the various characteristics stated by
you above, the fundamental point is that it is mithyA.  It has no existence
of its own while Brahman exists by itself.  The former is paratantra satya
no different from the rope-snake while the latter is swatantra satya.

> << This is actually a false construction, because self-realization is
> really not an experience, nor an event in time for anybody anywhere,
> although it appears to happen at specific instances of time to specific
> people. That is the whole point of all advaita vedAnta teaching.>> .
>

> This really needs elaboration. We are dealing with the situation as obtains
> in the vyavaharika plane. At this level surely selfrealization does indeed
> take place at specific times to specific people. How can it be held to be
> otherwise ? I am not clear. Please clarify.

If one realizes the truth behind the kārikā 'na nirodho na chotpattiḥ...'
then it will be clear that no one is born, none is  bound and no one
strives for liberation and none is liberated.  brahmaiva svāvidyayā
samsarati iva, svavidyayā mucyata iva.

regards
subrahmanian.v