[Advaita-l] Body is the disease

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 01:41:13 CST 2014

H S Chandramouli

< Besides, Shankara has also hinted that the jIva is locus
of avidyA in his sUtra bhAShya 4.1.3: kasya punaḥ ayam aprabodha iti cet
/ yas tvaṃ pṛcchasi tasya ta iti vadāmaḥ /, if you ask - whose is avidyA?
We say it is yours who ask thus. Again, in the gItA bhAshya, Shankara says
as much (13.2): avidyA kasya, yasya dRshyate tasyaiva. Whose is ignorance?
It is his by whom it is seen.>

Because jiva has avidya, he is said to be the locus ( ashraya )  of avidya.
When a person says he has the money which is in a box, he is the ashraya
for the money only in a limited/secondary  sense, one born of Abhimana (
sense of belonging or ownership ). The real ashraya for the money is the
box. In the same way, when it is said jiva has avidya, the jiva becomes the
ashraya for the avidya  only in a secondary/limited  sense , through
abhimana only ( sense of belonging or ownership ). The real ashraya is
Brahman only. Jiva is antahkarana vishishta Chaitanyam ( Brahman ) . What
actually subsists in the Visheshya ( Brahman )  also appears in the
Vishishta (jiva).

I seek a clarification in this regard. I am told that Sri Vachaspati
Mishra's interpretation in Bhamati is more in favour of the advaita
advocated by Sri Mandana Mishra in his work < Brahmasidhi > which favours
the Bhedabheda concept than Sri Bhagavatpada's interpretation which holds
only Abheda as acceptable. Sri Vachaspati Mishra accepts an infinite number
of jivas and avidyas.Could this be the reason for the above interpretation
of jiva as the locus of avidya.

Regards