[Advaita-l] vajrOli yOga & shankara bhagavatpAda

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 05:59:26 CST 2014

Namaste

I downloaded the PDF Sankara Dig Vijaya from Sringeri web site. On page 17
Adi Sankara cursed the Namboodiri Brahmins 'May you become incompetent to
study the Vedas! May no Sanyasin visit your place for bhiksha! May you
cremate your dead bodies in your own house compounds!’ He cursed them
because they did not give fire for cremation of his mother.

I have one question. The curse was Namboodiris should not be competent to
study Vedas. But today also we see they are even doing Srauta Yajnas like
Soma Yaaga and others in Kerala and places like Bhadrachalam in AP.
Namboodiris have Vedic experts and follow Vedas strictly. How is it
possible Adi Sankara's curse is not true after thousand years?  I heard
they cremate the dead bodies in the compound like the curse.

Regards

-Venkatesh