[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Seeking clarification on Bri. Up. Mantra 1-4-2

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 16:09:11 CDT 2014

Subhanuji - PraNAms

First my sincere thanks for taking time to address the issue I had raised.

I have no problem in understanding of the praarabda of a jnaani as long as the BMI which is the product of praarabda remains and the BMI will go through its praarabda, although jnaani has understood that he is not the BMI. There is no problem in that.

The question I had posed was in relation to Shankara bhaasya, in relation 1-4-2 mantra, as translated by Swami Madhavanandaji. In the discussion of the mantra 1-4-2, an objection was raised by a presumed purvapakshi.
In the bhaashhya it says -That his fear was removed by the knowledge of unity; was quite proper.

Implication of the statement was the Viraj was jnaani in the previous life itself  before he took the birth as Viraj since he was not taught after he was born as Viraj, and whatever knowledge he had was from his previous birth.

Hence it is not the praarabda of Viraj that is being discussed. If he has taken the birth of Viraj even after jnaanam in the last birth, then we have a problem. Jnaani can be reborn but due to his sanchita/aagaami karma only, which should have got destroyed with the jnaanam in his past life.

Hence the objection  was raised in the Shankara bhaashhya itself and the objection was valid. My only comment was that I failed to see in the siddhanta that followed the purvapaksha addresses the central objection that was raised, unless I missed something in that since the explanation is very exhaustive and somewhat round about. If you can clarify the sidhanta that followed the objection and how it address the objection, that is great.

Since jnaani need not have to take birth other than as avataara, I reconciled the situation as Viraj in his previous life had only partial knowledge – of tvam padartham and not aham brahmaasmi – realization. Then Viraj can have praarabda since he was not a jnaani and he needs the teaching of Vedanta. Hence I mentioned about Hamsa Geeta in the Bhagavatam that addresses his problem. Viraj only knew that He was alone and there is no other being to be afraid of.

If your feel Shankara’s sidhaanta following the objection addresses the issue or  if you feel that vaartika addresses the objection posed in a different way please let me know.

The issue may not be important but from the point of overall teaching, just curious in terms of how purva paksha was handled.

Hari Om!
Sadananda