[Advaita-l] Ishwara/brahman of the Vedanta

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 7 07:48:57 CDT 2013

From: V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
>Form is something grasped by the organ of sight and no other organ.  And
>since it is a property of the tejas bhuta, only the eye can grasp it.  The
>above upanishad says that Brahman has no form and therefore none can see It
>with the eyes.  Any form/body taken by Brahman is only with
>mAyA-association and that, therefore, cannot be absolute, but only
>conditional.
Subbuji - PraNAms

Just some clarification. A blind man can infer the form by sense of touch, although there is a story of six blind men describing the elephant by touching only part of the elephant.

However eyes are only the pramANA for colors. Some can never see all the colors due to colorblindness.

Brahman being infinite cannot have form, by definition. It cannot become an object of perception since perception demands that the perceiving subject must be different from the perceived object, and the perceptibility makes Brahman again finite, which is not possible by definition. Since scripture says it is ekam eva advitiiyam there are no divisions in Brahman, while perception demands tripuTi division involving perceiver, perceived and means of perception. Hence logically as well as scripturally the perception or knowledge of Brahman is impossible. Brahman cannot be an object of Knowledge also - Brahman is jnaana swaruupam - Realization involves just recognition that I am Brahman no that I am going to know Brahman or become Brahman .
Just my 2c.
Hari Om!
Sada