[Advaita-l] Samit Pani, do we really have to stretch this ??

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 07:07:26 CDT 2013

Namaste, Bhaskar ji

What you say is correct Adi Shankara in BG 4.37, does exclude prarabhdha. I
was explained that this is so because work in entrusted to him. While
explaining Ashtavakra Gita, I was told that Jnani cannot be bound by
Prarabhdha karma too. I am even told that Jnani can quit body at will. Sri
Ramakrishna said to Vivekananda that after you get the secret key, you can
quit body at will by Yog-bala.

If prarabhdha cannot be changed, then I think that Prarabhdha would be
superior to Bhagavan as even Bhagavan would not be able to uproot it.

Out of 4 purushartha-s, artha and kama are subjugated to prarabhdha, while
dharma and moksha depend upon purushartha and not on prrabhdha. we can say
that if it is in prarabhdha, then only we can get a guru Guru or a clarity
in spiritual concepts. If this would be the case than, IMHO, there would be
no need to do sadhana, as if it is in our prarabhdha, then we will be Self
Realized.

I think concept of Prarabhdha is only for explanatory concept, to give
logical expanation like Adi Shankara in Vivek Chudamani explains that
Prarabhdha is like an arrow shot, i..e arrow which has left the bow and now
cannot be stopped. while in Later on in V.C. (I do not remember exact
verse), it is said that it is even prarabhha is extinguished. May be my
memory is failing me.

Like you say, there is a split opinion in followers of Advaita. All I can
say is not to give important to events and focus on meditation. We need not
worry about Prarabhdha, as it is not in our hands, as we are seekers :)

In spirituality, bhAva is important than objects offered.

What we say as emotions (kAma, krodha) are spontaneous, else how can we
call Jnani as detached form 3 guNa-s which are dosha-s? If OM talks one
beyond 2 guNa-s then it takes Jnani beyond Prarabhdha. Some say that
Prarabhdha comes to Jnani i..e joy and sorrow, praise and criticism comes
to Jnani, but Jnani is not affected by him, just like tons of water from
different rivers pour in ocean, ocean does not say it's enough, nor does
ocean say anything when rivers go dry.

I have not studied Brahma Sutras. They are not given to me. Hence I cannot
comment. I have to follow words of Guru :)

Nice talking to you.

Sri Hari

Sujal

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna