[Advaita-l] Samit Pani

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 26 13:51:39 CDT 2013

Namaste,

Please permit me to divert a bit from the main line of discussion, to draw your attention to a point, which is most often neglected. This is in connection with what you said :

"The Guru is going to see his physical appearance at first with his eyes."
Unquote

What you wrote is very sound. That is the one of the reason why in the ancient times the girls were not sent to gurukul and the vidya was inparted by father to daughter  as Kanvamuni did  that to Shakuntala. That is because of the custom followed by many gurus is that the guru must see the disciple in full body. In ancient times the husband also could give vidya to wife as Yajnavalkya taught his wife, so much so that she could stand upto her husband in a debate among scholars. There is a Sanksrit verse (which I read in many years ago and I do not recollect the details now), which says that a female should chose a female guru and male should choose a male guru. There have been many problems in the past as wel as in the recent times when this dictum was ignored.

Regards,
Sunil KB