[Advaita-l] Reply to Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha's observations

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 07:39:13 CST 2013

Dear Sri Bhaskarji,

let me first clarify/summarize what i have stated in my earlier mails as
the views of Bhagavatpada.

1. Sadhanas are available leading the sadhaka to moksha but not in this
birth itself. These sadhanas are available to all the Ashramis. The
sadhanas generally go under the name of upasanas/vidyas.

2.Sadhanas are available leading to moksha in this birth itself. This is
called sadyomukti/.videhamukti/jivanmukti. The Sadhana principally consists
of Nididhyasana for successful completion of which Sanyasa Ashrama ( fourth
Order of Life ) is absolutely essential.

I would like to repeat that these are Bhagavatpada's views as i have
understood and for which i have already given supporting bhashya references.

The quotes you have given from mundaka and chandogya bhashyas essentially
prove the same conclusion. For example in the mundaka quote you have given,
both the above are covered. The first half of the quote refers to category
1 above ( jnana matrepi ) while the second half of the quote refers to
category 2.( jnana leading to moksha here itself ). It is common practice
in the shrutis that both the phala in both are termed jnana. The quote from
Chndogya is also to be similarly understood. You have yourself mentioned
jjapa/upavasa etc are recommended by Bhagavatpada. Certainly. But i am sure
you agree that , according to Bhagavatpada, these lcan lead to moksha but
not in this birth itself.

I am not able to get references to this subject in this forum during
previous years. Had i known about it i wouldnt have gone through this
exercise. But having gone through it already and perhaps wasted the time of
the members , ther is nothing i could do now to correct the mistake except
apologizing for the same. Which i do heartily.

Even this am writing only to correctly summarize what i had mentioned
earlier since i felt from the comments received they were not appreciated
in proper perspective.

Regards