[Advaita-l] Reply to Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha's observations

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 04:09:11 CST 2013

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> I agree with your general observation that the soul will have different
> bodies in different janma-s.  But I am talking about the bhAva and
> saMskAra shesha of the jeeva.  If the jeeva had a sanyAsi bhAva in its
> previous janma and had the sanyAsi body and was sincere to his ashrama
> dharma then this jeeva would get the subsequent janma in an atmosphere
> which is conducive to continue his previous janma's sAdhana.  yaM yaM vApi
> smaran bhAvaM tyajatyante kalevaraM .......sadA tadbhAva bhAvitaH says lord
> in geeta.  So, IMHO, a true saNyAsi in previous janma would be a
> virAgi in his current janma also due to his pUrva janma saMskAra
> phala...He cannot be a karmi / bhOgi in his current janma, if he is a
> karmi or bhOgi though he was saNyAsi (sarva karma saNyAsi) in previous
> janma then he will be considered as Ashrama patita.

Dear Sri Bhaskar ji,

This 'considering' is not possible since his past janma is not known either
to himself or for others. So, it would be impossible for anyone to ascribe
patitatvam to him.  It is only in the case of rare yogi-s who have
jAtismara siddhi one's earlier birth/s can be divined.

>  For this type of Ashrama patitatva there is no prAyaschitta says shankara
> somewhere in sUtra bhAshya.

I don't think Shankara has said this since, as I said above, it is
impossible to know the past birth/ashrama and make a comparison with the
current one.

> Anyway, if we bring in that famous theory of prArabdha
> karma phala, there will be a possibility that a true saMnyAsi can become a
> kartru-bhOktru gruhastha once again and patitatva can be treated as his
> prArabdha janita karma phala :-))

Yes, the mundakopanishat mantra 1.2.10: ...nAkasya pRShThe tE
sukRtE'nubhUtvA imam lokam hInataram vA vishanti -

//Such people go to Swarga after dropping the body and enjoy the result of
Punya Karma. One experiences great pleasure. Once the Punya gets over then
one comes back into this world* or sometimes even the lower world*. //

The kaThopanishad 2.2.7 mantra: ....yathAkarma yathAshrutam.. also gives
the same meaning as above: the jIva-s, after going to various loka-s for
bhoga, attain to any birth depending upon their mental make up and karma.

So, there is no guarantee that one will land in a human body alone, after
an earlier birth, even though human.  The YogabhraShTa verses of the BG
sixth chapter too have this rule/exception as the basis.  That is why it is
said: gahanA karmaNo gatiH - the ways of karma are inscrutable.

regards
subrahmanian.v