[Advaita-l] Reply to Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha's observations

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 10:37:13 CST 2013

H S CHANDRAMOULI

Dear Sri Bhaskarji,

I am sorry to totally disagree with your views.

frstly a sadhka who has gone through the sadhana almost to completuion but
does not get jnana due to pratibandhakas he is not considered a patita. He
continues from this level in his future births and when the pratibandhaka
is overcome he automatically gets jnana. This is what is stated by Lord
Krishna in the Geetha as well as mentioned by Bhagavatpada in Sutra
Bhashya.

As for jnana being adheena to sanyasaashrama, i really feel you are not
serious in making such a statement. By saying only good persons can attain
jnana, are we making jnana adheena to goodness.

Eligibility of various ashramis is extensively discussed by Bhagavatpada
under Sutra Bhashyas 3-4-17 to 3-4-20. As also in Chandogya 2-23-1. I am
not aware of earlier discussions in this forum dating several years back.
It would be a pity if you were to come to conclusions without going through
these extensive and engrossing bhashyas. I do urge you at least as a matter
of further interest to do so and then reply.

Dear Sujalji,

I cant disagree with you more when you say sanyasa is a mental occupation
and not a way of life. Surprisingly the Poorvapakshin in Sutra 3-4-19 takes
the stand that sanyasa ashrama is not supported by shrutis at all and is
only mentioned in smritis. This is what is rebutted by Bhagavatpada. In
Advaita Vedanta at least, Bhagavatpada has categorically mentioned it as a
way of life and not just a mental state in any ashrams.  As for catching
the contents and not the container, it is a basic tenet of Advaita vedanta
that the container automatically drops once you catch the contents (
brahman ) , but you are not to eschew the container before catching the
contents.

Regards