[Advaita-l] Reply to Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha's observations

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 23:15:10 CST 2013

The fundamental principle is crisply enunciated in the Vivekachudamani:

chittasya shuddhaye karma, na tu vastUpalabdhaye

vastu-siddhir-vichAreNa, na kinchitkarmakOTibhiH 11

karma is meant for chittashuddhi and not for the knowledge of Atman.  This,
the knowledge of Atman, is accomplished by vichAra (jijnAsA - shravaNa,
manana and nididhyAsana) and never by any amount of karma.

And the Upanishad too says this:

na karmaNA na prajayA dhanEna....

The Mundakopanishat says: nAsti akRtaH kRtena.  That which is not a product
of karma, the Atman, is never attained by karma.

The BG 6th ch. verse:

ArurukShoH muneH yogam karma kAraNamuchyate
yogArUDhasya tasyaiva shamaH kAraNamuchyate

For the one aiming at attaining to yoga (that is conducive for
Self-realizattion through nididhyAsanam) (stage 1) karma is the means.  For
this very aspirant, once he has attained to the state of yoga (stage 2), it
is freedom from/giving up of actions that is the means (to consummate the
process of nididhyAsanam) in Self-realization.

In the svArAjyasiddhi 1.10 it is even more emphatically stated:

..while the distinction is so clearly available between the adhikArin for
karma and the one for jnAna, to say that both karma and jnana constitute
the means for liberation amounts to asking a man who is thirsty to consume
fire and water  for quenching the thirst.

regards
subrahmanian.v