[Advaita-l] Reply to Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha's observations

Nithin Sridhar sridhar.nithin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 02:39:28 CST 2013

As far as I can understand, the possible scenarios that can arise are-

1. One performs Karma Anushtana during Grihasta and Upasana during
Vanaprasta and develops chitta-shuddhi and overcomes desires.
2. One performs Karma Anushtana and Upasana during Grihasta and develops
Chitta-Shuddhi and Overcomes desires.
3. One is by birth has dispassion, discrimination etc and is free from
impurities of mind.
4. One is ever-free from Birth.
5. One performs Karma Anushtana through out the life without attaining
discrimination and dispassion.
6. One lives life without regard for Dharma and Karma.

In the case of 1 & 2, after the purification of mind is attained and
impurities destroyed, a person may go through any of following scenario-

a. The person has complete viveka and vairagya and with a single
instruction from Guru/Shastras will attain Jnana immediately.
b. The person may have to perform extensive sravana, manana and
Niddhidhyasa for through out life and later either attain Jnana before
death or will die without attaining Jnana.

In the case of 3, the person may take Samyasa in childhood itself and may
follow course either through "a" or through "b".

In case of 4, the person is ever-free. He is born only for some divine
purpose.

In case of 5 & 6, there is no attainment of Jnana. But, 5 is bound to get
better next life and 6 is bound to suffer.

Hence, as Shankara says, Karmas cannot result in Jnana directly, but only
results in Chitta-Shuddhi. And after purification of mind, some people are
able to attain Aparoksha Jnana with a single Sravana and some are able to
attain Jnana after extensive practice of sravana chatushtaya and yet many
are unable to attain Jnana in that very life.

-Nithin