[Advaita-l] Tapas

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 00:41:39 CST 2013

Pranams,

As other members have given references from shruti-s and Shankara BhASya,
we can say

1. vAcyArtha: A process - nidhidhAsana, deep contemplation.
2. laxyArtha: Abide in Self, knowledge of Brahman.

Tapas can be RAjasika, tAmasika or SAtvika. Here we have to take only
SAttvik tapa, w.r.t BG 9.25

यान्ति देवव्रता देवान् पितृ़न्यान्ति पितृव्रताः।
भूतानि यान्ति भूतेज्या यान्ति मद्याजिनोऽपि माम्।।9.25।।

yānti dēvavratā dēvān pitṛnyānti pitṛvratāḥ.
bhūtāni yānti bhūtējyā yānti madyājinō.pi mām..9.25..

English translation by Swami Gambhirananda

9.25 Votaries of the gods reach the gods; the votaries of the manes go to
the manes; the worshippers of the Beings reach the Beings; and those who
worship Me reach Me.

OR

9.25 Worshippers of the gods (devata-s (deva-s) ascend and stay in
deva-loka; the worshippers of the ancestors (staying on chandra-loka) go to
the manes (chandra-loka); the worshippers of the Ghosts (bhUta, piSAca)
 reach their loka; and those who worship Me (Ishvara) reach Me.

*Note: D**eva-loka means heaven. **Chandra means moon. Loka can be taken as
kingdom. Just like there is earth kingdom, there is sun-kingdom,
moon-kingdom, *
* etc. Howevder, 'Me' or param pada is not any loka it is Atman / Brahman
itself, as Adi Shankara clarifies in last verse of same chapter. *

P.S. I am clipping earlier reply except last one so as to keep the size of
email to a minimum. It will be helpful in saving space, as all replies are
archived. Last reply is not clipped for continuity purpose (helpful while
referring archives)

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com