[Advaita-l] Logical Basis of Soul

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Nov 17 18:20:01 CST 2013

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013, Rajaram Venkataramani wrote:

> Is there an English translation available?

Atmatattvaviveka of Udayana; critical edition with English translation and
explanation by Narayana Shastri Dravid.  Indian Institute for Advanced
Study, Shimla, 1995.

> Sankara's approach indicates
> that logic (without reliance on textual authority) can be used to determine
> if soul distinct from matter exists. One may rely on modern methods to do
> so. Is that right?

atma means "self" as well as "soul." While the existence of self is, shall
we say, self-evident :-), the pramana for soul like any other adhyatmic
topic is from shastra only.