[Advaita-l] Reply to Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha's observations

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 06:57:38 CST 2013

VM: Karma is of many types but Karma I am talking about is Nitya Karma
sanctioned in the Vedas. The BG  also is saying there are many Karmas but
Karma as Yajna is different. It is Vishnu. It cannot be useless for Jnana
like other Karma. This Yajna will be very useful to get Atma Jnana.
Meditation is useful. But Yajnas are also useful. Kindly reconsider your
position.

--

Namaste Sri Venkatesh ji,

BG also says that one has to drop karma. I think Tai. Up. Shankara Bhashya
1.11 would be useful. There is also a vartiika by sureshvaracharya and
sayanacharya available
here<http://www.scribd.com/doc/123262729/Shankara-Bhashya-Taittiriya-Upanishad-With-Bhasyas-of-Suresvara-Sayana-A-Mahadev-Sastri-English>.
refer page 178. It is popular verse

* सत्यं वद। घर्मं चर। स्वाध्यायान्‌ मा प्रमदः।’ ‘Satyam vada; dharmam
chara;* ...

short excerpt:

On the principle that " Once done, the command of the scriptures has been
observed," one may suppose that after a single performance of the works
enjoined in the sruti and the smriti they may be abandoned. To prevent this
supposition the sruti commands as follows …

For full commentary, please refer the above link.

For full commentary, refer his bhasya.

What is importance of vedic-s karma when one takes sanyAsa? Does he
continue to do duty, nitya karma.

Veda and Vedanta : Are They Opposed to One
Another?<http://kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part5/chap32.htm>

Please understand. Whatever has beginning has end. One day you began nitya
karma. Some day it has to end. It does not end in Jnana, but it ends in
purifies our chitta so that we qualify to realize our true nature.

Nitya karma requires specific external objects. What happens if you do not
have them? So you are dependent on something that is external for diving
deep within.

Forget shastra-s for some time being. What do you think, can you become
detached with the very karma that you are doing without stopping them. When
you are witness, can you act. When you are doing karma, are you
experiencing detachment? Do you meditate? if yes on what and how do you
meditate?

Afterall, if shastra-s has to be applied practically.

upanishads are also a part of veda-s

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna