[Advaita-l] What exactly is karma saNyAsa??

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 06:41:16 CST 2013

Rajaram: Will a jnani not know that even bhagavan is unreal and his svarupa
is brahman? Why should he listen to someone who doesn't exist?

Namaste,

Until you do not reach the state of non-duality, Turiya state is our
destination. when one abides in the self, which is turiya, it is our sthiti.

Upadesha-s are given from adhikara bheda. That is why we find some
contradictory statements. What is said earlier is negated later.

After reaching opposite shore of river, one can say that now I do not want
this boat, but you cannot say the same when you are inbetween river. If you
say if boat is not destination, then why at all travel by boat? Is this
right?

Patanjali Yoga Sutra 2.22 says that this world is unreal for Jnani and is
real for the ignorant one.

We are in duality and we want to rise above it. So we have a bhAva that 'I
am not different than Brahman'. Just by saying once that 'I am Brahman',
one does not become Brahman next moment. It is this bhAva that helps us to
rise above duality until it becomes your sahaj sthiti (natural state).

Statements that are applicable at pArmArthika level (from stand point of
supreme reality) are not applicable to vyahavArika level (practical
reality), but these statements remind us that our journey is incomplete and
we should continue to strive for it.

When Jnani comes back from Nirvikalp samadhi, there is a verse which says
that this world is Brahman i.e. everything 'else' is also Brahman. So jagat
is satya, but it is Brahma svarUpa. Hence Ishvara is not unreal for Jivan
mukta, but in Nirvikalp samadhi, Ishvara exists as pure consciousness i.e.
Brahman.

Under ignorance i.e. in our present state, you cannot say that Ishvara does
not exits.

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna