[Advaita-l] What exactly is karma saNyAsa??

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 23:40:42 CST 2013

Namaste

Thank you. Very clear explanation. You are saying Karma Tyaaga itself is
required not Karma Phala Tyaaga. All Karmas have to be stopped. But there
is a problem.

We can see so many Sannyasis today going to inaugurate hospitals, colleges,
schools, and doing so many activities. They are participants in Homa
Purnahutis also. They are doing Laukika and Vaidika Karmas. Why?

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> Kindly pardon me I have changed the subject line.
>

> I have observed two different observations with regard to 'karma saNyAsa'.
>  Firstly Sri sada prabhuji said :
>
> // quote//
>
> That understanding is sarva karma sanyaasa – it is not really renouncing
> actions that I never did or do, but renouncing the notion that I am doer.
> These notions will get removed only in the awakening of the true knowledge
>
> //unquote//
>
> indicating that 'karma saNyAsa' is NOT exactly about renouncing the
> physical action itself (agnihOtrAdi vaidikAdi karma-s) but it is ALL about
> renouncing ONLY katrutva bhAva of the doer.
>
> But  your goodself, subsequently  clarified as below :
>
> // quote //
>
> There comes a point when one has to move beyond performance of karmA along
> with
> phala-tyAga to the stage where there is sarva karma saMnyAsa, which means
> ultimately
> giving up all vaidika and laukika karmA. This is what Sankara bhagavatpAda
> emphasizes
> time and again.
>
> // unquote//
>
> AFAIK, sri shankara insists 'karma saNyAsa' (physically renouncing the
> loukika & vaidika karma-s)  in geeta bhAshya NOT exactly 'katrutva
> saNyAsa'.  Hence at somany places he stresses the importance of taking the
> formal saNyAsa when pursuing the path of knowledge.  However as Sri Sada
> prabhuji pointed out as a sAdhana part we have to practise the akatrutva
> bhAva while doing the karma when we are in other than saNyAsa Ashrama &
> these aktrutva karma-s  ultimately lead us to karma saNyAsa (physical
> renunciation of loukikAdi karma-s) automatically.  So, as per shankara
> bhAshya 'karma saNyAsa' means NOT exactly katrutva saNyAsa it is nothing
> but renuncing the 'karma' itself.  And this karma saNyAsa can be achieved
> to its fullest effect ONLY in saNyAsa Ashrama.
>
> Sri Vidya prabhuji, kindly correct me if I said anything wrong.
>
> Your humble servant
> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar

Regards