[Advaita-l] Prasna regarding Aruna Prasna

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 06:25:57 CST 2013

Namaste,

I am not qualified for to answer this topic, however, I have found
something that can be useful.

In he book, Hindu
Dharma<http://kamakoti.org/newlayout/template/hindudharma.html>,
there is a topic on child
marriage<http://kamakoti.org/newlayout/template/hindudharma.html/18/1/hindu/Marriage>
(Part
18), please check Eight Forms of
Marriage<http://kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part18/chap5.htm>and previous
two chapters

Interesting thing related to this topic is that mantras in marriage are
recited for all forms of marriage. Out of it one marriage Brahma Marriage
is conducted when girl has not attained puberty, but she goes to stay at
her husband's home when she is matured.

Mantras are said in advance.

Please find a quote below by Kanchi Paramacharya

I will give you an example in this context. When the brahmacarin performs
> the samidadhana he prays before Agni to grant him good children. How absurd
> would it be for our reformers to argue, on the basis of this prayer, that a
> young boy must have children when he is yet a celibate-student and that he
> may become a householder only later. The point to note is that the boy
> prays on advance for good children. The Vedic mantras cited by reformers
> must be seen in the same light.

> The mantras [quoted by reformers] are appropriate for the marriage of a
> girl who has come of age also.
> This is our reply to the school of opinion represented by the Rt Hon'ble
> Srinivasa Sastri. If the mantras in question are chanted at the time of the
> marriage of girls who have come of age, it does not mean that all marriages
> are to be celebrated after the girls have attained puberty. According to
> the brahma form of marriage, the girl must not have had her menarche. There
> is incontrovertible proof for this in the Vedic mantra chanted at the end
> of the marriage rite<http://kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part18/referp18.htm#MARRIAGE RITE>
> .
>

> I told that a girl is under the sway of a gandharva between the time she
> is able to wear her clothes without anybody's help and her menarche. His
> name is Visvavasu. The mantra I referred to is chanted by the groom
> addressing this demigod. "o Visvasu, " it says, " I bow to you. Leave this
> girl and go. Go to another girl child. Have I not become the husband of
> this girl? So give her over to me and go to another girl who is not married
> and lives with her father. " During the wedding the groom performs a puja
> to this gandharva and prays to him to free the girl from his control. Here
> is proof that the bride is not under Agni and has not had her menarche

> *UdirsvatoVisvavaso namasedamahe tva /Anyamiccha prapharvyam sanjayam
> patya srja/Udisrvato pativati hyesa Visvavasunnamasa girbhiride /Anyamichha
> pitrsadam vyaktam/sa te bhago janusa tasya vidhi.*

Coming back to the topic, in brahmacharya ashram, according to Kanchi
Paramacharya, everything is taught, including upanishads. i.e. samhitA,
brAhmaNa, araNyaka, vedAnta (upanishads), but after completing the
education, brahmacharin return to home and lives a life of house holder.

I think that the applications of teachings of various parts of veda-s
(samhitA, etc) are related to ashrams, but they are taught atleast on
philosophical or intellectual level since the first ashram.

I hope this is helpful.

AUM

Sujal

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna