[Advaita-l] Happy Diwali/Sal Mubarak!

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Nov 7 01:00:05 CST 2013

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Ravi Chandrasekhara wrote:

> Pranam ,
>
> Amara Gujarati loko: Diwali Subbhakaamiyen ane Sal Mubarak!

a couple of mistakes but good effort!

> I take it that Gujarat VS is similar to Dakshina Bharat SS calender in
> that the month begins with Amavasa.
>
> In Uttara Bharat, I think new month begins with Purinma using VS.

Not quite...

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Siva Senani Nori wrote:

> In South India, month does not begin with amaavaasya, it ends with that.
> The first tithi is pratipat or paaDyamee (in Telugu) of the Suklapaksha.
> In North, month ends with poorNimaa and starts with Krishnapaksha
> pratipat,

... is more accurate.  Some Vaishnava groups in Gujarat use the north
Indian purnimanta system because that is the calendar used in Vraj,

I think most North Indian states use the SS era not VS.  The bureaucratic
monstrosity known as the Indian civil calendar is based on the latter.