[Advaita-l] Talks on Advaita Bhakti by Prof. VK

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 10:18:24 CDT 2013

PraNAmas Sadananda ji

***bhaava adviatam na tu kriyaa advaitam*

This reminds of  a being a samadarSina and not samavartina :) (as said by
Bhagavan in Gita)

***na guru na sishyaH, chidaananada ruupaH shivoham shivoham.*

This is the milestone which a disciple has to reach, all by the grace of
God and Guru.

Guru Gita is the best ot study to cultivate Guru-bhakti. It has many verses
which can be used as daily prayers before meditation, while in Meditation,
following on words of Guru, one has to merge in source (of OM) or negate
what is non-self, and be in it.

As one progresses, one becomes soft from within as sattvik guNa increases,
later on one is not affected by anyone's external behavour or any external
objects. Advaita, very much depends upon Ishvara's grace and by the grace
of mAyA, one transcend above it. It is only the approach that we do not
give importance to mAyA, which does not mean disrespect to either mAyA
(God's power) or God (SaguNa Brahman). Kundalini may activate and rise
above, but advaitin will not pay attention to it, nor he will try to resist
Kundilini from rising.  I have personally marked as as I have progressed on
spirituality,, though I do not worship any deity or do puja, but meditate
on OM, I have developed deep respect for all forms of deities and the
respect increases as I have progressed. The very bhajan say Sri Rudram or
Shiva mahimna stotra or KrUshNa MadhurASTakam, has more profound and deep
impact upon me as compared to 10 years ago.

When the all powerful divinity, upon which I daily meditate, manifests
through any person or any idol, reverence, respect and devotion blossoms
spontaneously. Adi Shankara was as much a bhakta as he was a Jnani. I
think, he was bhakta from within and a Jnani from outside. If he was not
humble, he would not have collected dust of feet of a ChAndala in front of
everyone, in public place.

I think, it is a mistake to think of Jnani as rasa-hina (without any rasa).
>From within a matured sadhaka, who is full of suddha sattva, is always
humble, soft, and have unconditionally surrendered, without any want or
need. He has strong faith. The other name of Jnani is brahma-niShTa. Jnani
is peaceful and not stone faced and emotion-less. Peace or Shanti is a
bhAva (SAnta bhAva). Peace and Bliss are long lasting as they are born out
of vivek-yukta vairAgya.

Even if one does not think of this world as illusion, but does
doSa-darSana, still he progresses. Later on when one is matured, and God
gives him an experience of detachment, he can follow neti-neti and finds
everything inside him, and he is pure consciousness. It should be known
that this is not last state, as last stage is destruction of mind and any
experience as a separate identity. Maun is only expression capable of
expressing the truth.

Hari OM

Sujal

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna