[Advaita-l] Locus of maayaa and avidyaa

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun May 26 14:27:27 CDT 2013

Hare Krishna Sri Bhaskar. In BhG 7.13, mAyA is said to be the cause of
avidyA. The question that arises is whether avidyA causes mAyA or the other
way around. In vyavahara, mAyA is an entity. Can the same be said about
avidyA? In his commentary to BhG 5.22, Madhusudana Saraswati  says that
avidyA is an entity. He says that according to the Upanishads, avidyA is a
beginningless positive entity.I would be keen to know the upanishadic
reference to avidyA being a positive entity that lead Madhusudana to
believe so. Before that he analyses it from yogA angle to arrive at a
similar conclusion and says that, "This avidyA having five divisions -
tamas, moha, mahAmoha, tAmisra and andha tamisra issued out of the great
soul Vishu" (VP 1.5.5). Based on the smrti, he says that these kleshas, and
hence entities, exist in four states - prasupta, tanu, vichinna and udAra.