[Advaita-l] concluding sloka of siddhAnta bindu

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed May 1 20:20:49 CDT 2013

In the Br.sutra bhashyam 3.3.32 Shankara says: / apAntaratamo nAma muniH
kali-dvApara-sandhau vyAsatvena sambabhUva - a sage named 'apAntaratamas'
incarnated in the confluence of Kali and dvApara yuga-s with the name /
position
of 'vyAsa'.//

Shankara has mentioned the name 'veda vyAsa' on several occasions in the
brahmasutra and upanishad bhashyams. But in all these places it is as
'smRtikAraH' (the author of Mahabharatha, purana, etc.)

In one place, however, in the brahmasutra bhashyam, at the fag end,
Shankara mentions the name 'bAdarAyaNa' as the author of the sutra-s:

भगवान्बादरायण आचार्यः पठति 'अनावृत्तिः शब्दादनावृत्तिः शब्दात्' ।
ब्रह्मसूत्र ४,४.२२ ।

A scholar told me that Shankara did not mention the name 'veda vyasa' as
the sutrakAraH because veda vyasa himself has not used that name in any of
the sutras although the name 'bAdarAyaNaH' appears in as many as five
sutras.

And in all the three schools, A, VA and D, it is accepted that the
sutrakAra is vedavyAsa alone.

Advaitins, hold that Veda VyAsa is the same as bAdarAyaNa, the author of
the brahma sutras.

Yet another famous verse is:

shankaram shankarAchAryam keshavam bAdarAyaNam.
sUtra-bhAShyakRtau vande bhagavantau punaH punaH.

There is also the famous 'vyAsa sandarshana' in Shankara vijayam where
there is a visit by Veda vyAsa to Shankara's place and there is a
discussion on the sUtra: tadantarapratipattau ......3.1.1.

The brahmasutras are a work of bAdarAyaNa vyAsa, who is also admitted to be
the author of the Mahabharatha and the Bhagavadgita which is a part
thereof.

It would be interesting to see if there is any mention of brahmasutras and
their authorship in the mega text mahAbhArata.

regards
subrahmanian.v