[Advaita-l] Naivedya question

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 12:00:35 CDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Venkata sriram P
<venkatasriramp at yahoo.in>wrote:

> Namaste,
>

> In Andhra Pradesh, there lived a great dEvi upAsaka who shed his mortal
> coil just 15 years ago. His name was Brahmasri Tadepalli Raghavanarayana
> Sastry, whom we admire as *chandavolu maharishi*.  He used to be in
> antarmukha avastha while performing navAvaraNa archana and used to be in
> commune with bAlA tripurasundari.
>
> To add to their poverty, they got the news that Kanchi Mahaperiyaval was
> arriving their house to have bhiksha.  All the necessary arrangements were
> made for Paramacharya's stay in Chandolu village at Tenali which is in
> Guntur dist. of AP.  Paramacharya arrived in the afternoon after anuSTAna,
> accepted their bhiksha of rice starch and blessed them saying *Mother
> Kamakshi is satisfied today*.

Maybe you meant to say 'gruel'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruel
//*Gruel* is a food preparation consisting of some type of
cereal<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cereal>—
oat <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oat>,
wheat<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat>or
rye <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rye> flour, or rice — boiled in water or
milk <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk>. It is a thinner version of
porridge <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porridge> that may be more often
drunk than eaten and may not need to be cooked.  From a literary,
bourgeois<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourgeoisie>,
or modern <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_history> point of view,
gruel has often been associated with poverty. //

'Starch', also goes by the name 'kanji/ganji', could mean the excess water
drained/strained from the cooked rice.  Normally this starch is discarded
though in certain places the servants/beggars are fed this with
salt/onion/chilli added.

subrahmanian.v