[Advaita-l] mithyaa / anirvachaniiya and asattva

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 21:27:20 CDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM, Naresh Cuntoor <nareshpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> in trying to understand the distinction between mithyaa and asattva
> through examples, one would find trivial examples less illuminating.

I think you did not grasp the crucial, non-trivial difference, that was
made out between mithyA and alIka (asat) examples:  pratIyamAnatvam
(pratItiyogyatA) with regard to a mithyA vastu and apratIyamAnatvam
(pratItiyogyatAbhAvaH) with asat vastu.  One can mistake a distant pillar
(or a tree shorn of branches) for a person: sthANau puruShabhramaH.  But no
one will / can mistake the sthANu for a vandhyAputraH.

subrahmanian.v