[Advaita-l] Shankara on non-Advaitic mokSha/Brahman

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Mar 8 00:17:01 CST 2013

praNAms
Hare Krishna

In Eka Jeeva Vada you are that dreaming Jeeva. You are alone in the
Universe. There are no other
Jeevas.

>  IMHO, from the transactional view point we do unconditionally believe
that there are number of other jeeva-s and other things existing around us
and our behavior also tuned according to this belief.  So, it is futile to
argue that whether there is only one jeeva (eka jeeva) or nanA jeeva and
it is hardly matters even if we call this universe and other jeeva-s are
mere eka jeeva's dream because that jeeva which is arguing that there is
nothing in this universe, is itself a product of avidyA.  So this jeeva
may call this universe and other jeeva-s an avastha restricted reality or
mere dream but this jeeva's ultimate goal should be establishing itself in
that secondless reality. shankara insists that it is pure being (i.e.
brahman) alone that is spoken of as a jeeva owning to its connection with
an upAdhi.  So, so long as bondage continues as attaching itself to one
upAdhi, we can say there is only one jeeva (which is none other than
brahman) but in the case of bondage continuing to attach to another
upAdhi, the talk of another jeeva comes into picture.  It is clear that
due to upAdhi (eka & nAnOpAdhi) saMbandha only the 'number' of jeeva
determined here in advaita, but ultimately what stands out is
'ekamevaadviteeya' chaitanya i.e. parabrahman.  In short, if we hold the
samashti antaHkaraNa as the upAdhi for Atman, then it is eka
jeeva/chaitanya..OTOH, if we hold the individual antaHkaraNa-s as they are
many (ofcourse, you do agree that you have different set of BMI and your
realization of 'dream' would not going to help other BMI-s :-)) then nAnA
jeeva is quite evident and you can not come out of this duality being in
avidyAkruta vyAvahArika jagat.  So, as long as you are seeing this jagat
through the upAdhi of yours which is conditioned, it is better to accept
the existence of other things & other jeeva-s.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar