[Advaita-l] Upanayanam question

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jun 11 18:29:36 CDT 2013

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Bhaskar YR wrote:

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> Is there any rule that one should not perform upanayanaM to jyeshTa putra
> (elder son) in jyeshTa mAsa ??  If yes, kindly let me know whether there
> is  any shanti / prayaschitta karma to be observed to get rid of the
> dOsha.

According to dharmashastras like dharmasindhu, upanayana should be done in
uttarayana, in shukla paksha, and on any tithi except anadhayana days
(mainly pratipada and ashtami.)  However due to astrological
considerations, it has become an achara to avoid the days where jyeshta
nakshatra prevails.  (I have not heard about it for the whole jyeshta masa
but I wouldn't be surprised if some people believed it.)  My personal
opinion is that if minor details make people miss out on performing
shrauta/smarta obligations they are missing the wood for the trees.

One of the prayoga books I use has shanti for children born in
jyeshta nakshatra which can be adopted for this purpose by changing a
few words in the samkalpa.  I can send to you if you want it.