[Advaita-l] Shankara and Kriya Yoga

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Jun 6 01:36:23 CDT 2013

praNAms Sri Rajaram prabhuji
Hare Krishna

One can come to any conclusion on his own and have the conviction that it
is right.

>  Yes, there is no limit as such to one's assumptions :-)) Everyone has
his own right to assume anything that would pleases him :-))  We have
shraddha in HH words and believe that paramashiva taught Asana-s to HH
without any conditions..whereas if paramahaMsa yOgAnanda says bAbAji
taught kriya yOga to shankara we dont believe it and it is only his cock &
bull story :-)) why??  because we donot have shraddha & faith in this
yOgi's words as we have in H H words...it is as simple as that.  I dont
think there is something wrong in either of these two episodes.

However, how does one know for certain that the conclusion is right? We
need apaurusheya sabda pramana to validate and that can only come from a
teacher.

>  but for the above episodes, we cannot find any shAstra pramANa :-)) it
is only the shraddha / belief that we have in our guru's words.  Here
pramANa is Apta/AchArya vAkya not shAstra vAkya.

Even for Sringeri Periyava, Lord Shiva taught yoga in his dreams. If
Ramana's conclusions are inconsistent with shruti, he is plain wrong. If
he says that the teacher is the Self, it is fine.

>  one may argue, how can it be true when self is nishkriya, so that self
should appear in a personified form and should have taught him...so in
this case also we cannot rule out physical presence of guru.

If he says he didn't need a teacher in some form to instruct him, he is
plain wrong.

>  According to Sri subbu prabhuji, physical presence of guru or personal
interaction with the physical form of the guru is not necessary for the
'highly accomplished' aspirant, he can 'master' anything (i.e. including
brahma jnAna) by reading & understanding a printed book, ..is it not Sri
Subbu prabhuji??

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar