[Advaita-l] karma for sannyasis

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 01:35:26 CDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM, <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any pramana to renounce bhagavad bhakti? On what basis are yatis
> allowed one type of ajnAnA (bhakti, pranava japam etc.) but disallowed
> another (progeny, cattle)?

The former type of ajnAna is liberating in nature and the latter is
binding.  The logic is well laid out in the Bh.Gita karma yoga.  karma, by
nature, being avidyA-born (Br.up. teaches the sequence: avidyA, kAma and
karma (and bandha) ) is binding in nature.  Yet when done as karma-yoga is
not only non-binding, but liberating, that is, it facilitates liberation by
taking the aspirant to jnAna yoga.  But the other type of ajnAna, cattle,
etc. will be binding and not liberating; they tighten one's bonds.