[Advaita-l] AtmA tvam

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Jan 25 22:01:59 CST 2013

In all the recent discussion this question seems to have been overlooked.

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013, V Srini wrote:

> There is a set of shlokas popularly known as "Shiva Manasa Pooja", with
> a famous shloka that starts with "AtmA tvaM girijA matiH . . " and ends
> with "yadyat karma karomi tattadakhilaM shambho tavArAdhanam".
>
> The popular claim is that this is written by Adi Shankaracharya. I
> searched the entire collection of his works and did not find this.
> Anyone knows in what book or work of his this can be found? Or is it
> called by a different name? For example the popular "bhajagovindam" was
> originally called "mohamudgaraH"
>
> BTW, I also searched shloka indexes of several of his books.

This is one of my favorites.  It is a standalone stotra not part of any
larger work.  (It has one more shloka btw karacharaNakR^itam vA which is
often known seperately.)  it is true that it was not included in the Vani
Vilasa edition of the complete works of Shankaracharya which is as near to
a canonical edition that we have.  Neither it seems have any of the old
commentators such as Anandagiri or Svayamprakash Yati written a tika on
it.  However every single source that does mention it unanimously
considers it to be the composition of Adi Shankaracharya.  They always
call it by this name only. So it is impossible to give a definitive
answer as to whether it is genuine.