[Advaita-l] Vedas are not apauresheya according to the Vedas ?

Varadaraja Sharma rishyasrunga at rediffmail.com
Thu Jan 17 01:33:28 CST 2013

Radhe Krishna
I have been regularly reading the posts of advaita list. In the past couple of
years, I have observed there have been lengthy discussions on topics of advaita
Vedanta and about many other peripheral issues generating heat and wondered as to
why is it so?
>From the recent posts by Sri Vidyasankar and Sri Sivasenani nori garu, I feel that
I am able to grasp where the fault line is.
Be it apaurusheyatva or for that matter discussions on any shasthra related issues
----- somewhere down the line---- rather than trying to perceive and understand
the issues from a particular perspective------ the discussions hovered around like
--------some of the members trying to bind the discussions to a particular
perspective and some members trying to extrapolate the discussions from their own
pre conceived notions.  Eventhough samanvaya is possible in some of the
discussions, on many occasions it was elusive. Neverthless, to enquire about an
issue from a guided way, IMHO takes one to a proper destination. How
apaurusheyatva is viewed from different schools (perspectives) and what conclusion
one reaches and why is that so was very articulative and gave me better
understanding of the issue.
“The problem is that somebody without a thesis can refute every thesis (example,
Nagarjuna; to some extent Sri Harsha in KhaNDanakhaNDakhAdya, and recently,
Jacques Derrida) - and this is what is called Sushkatarka.”
I feel the issue is addressed here in a different but in a pointed way.
But, tarka of whatever stock it is, IMHO, still adds inputs to the issue
discussed.
“But the question is whether Vedas can be considered a pramana”

>From  my limited understanding of the ongoing discussions, could it be like how a
“postulate” is to  logic - a proposition that is accepted as true in order to
provide a basis for logical reasoning --- “veda prAmaNyata” to vedantins?

“It will be valid even if it is from Ishwara or any trustworthy person”

Considering the spirit of the sentences prior to and after this sentence, I feel
that  if the word “trustworthy” is dropped, the sentence would be more consistent

Radhe Krishna