[Advaita-l] What is Gupta Navaratri?

D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ dvnsarma at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 00:04:34 CST 2013

Once a person was doing great tapas repeating the raajamaatangi moola
mantra near
dhvajastambha of Madurai Meenaakashi Temple. When his punascharana ripened,
Madurai
Meenaakshi Devi appeared before him in the form of a courtesan chewing
betel leaves and
asked him to open his mouth. Enraged that a courtesan dared to ask him to
accept her half
chewed betel leaves he scolded her severely. She went away and asked one
Srinivasa
who was on the service staff of the temple to open his mouth and placed the
half chewed betel
in his mouth. From that day it seems he became a composer of both sangeetha
and sahitya.

Subbarama DIkshitar Narrates this story in Sangeetha Sampradaya Pradarshini
and records one
composition of his in the book.

--
regards,