[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 00:03:17 CST 2013

Dear Sri RVji,

Normally, as between two objects  A and B pratyaksha pramana allows for
only the following two options.

Ais same as B and B is same as A.

A is not same as b and B is not same as A.

It normally does not allow of any other option. But the essence of advaita
is based on a third option.

A is same as B. But B is not same as A. How does this hold good. Advaita
says

A is same as B. But B is not same as A , but appears to be A.

Most of the inferential reasoning in Advaita follows this principle. As an
illustration of this < Snake is rope. But rope is not snake but only
appears to be snake >. This is extended in the following.

Annamaya is Atma, but Atma is not Annamaya. Pranamaya is Atma, but Atma is
not Pranamaya.  So on and so on.

Why is pratyaksha pramana not acceptable for a proper understanding of the
fundamental truth?  pratyaksha pramana depends on the user of the pramanas
namely " I " for its validity to be a pramana. If the understanding of " I
" itself is wrong then the validity of the pratyaksha pramana also is lost.
It is akin to the dreamer ( person in the dream ) considering the dream as
real while it lasts. On wakingup the waker realizes that the dream world is
not real and hence not valid. Wealth acquired in the dream is certainly not
useful in the waking world. Advaita's standpoint is that there is a
fundamental misunderstanding of " I " which leads one to all our normally
understood experiences.

Regards