[Advaita-l] Real, unreal and mithyaa

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 09:46:33 CST 2013

Thank you Nitin ji and Sadananada ji

I guess it is better to use hindi / Sanskrit word for differentiating
between mithyA and asatya. Since asat does not have any existence, hence
there is no need to discuss it. I think it is for this purpose that unreal
should be  taken as mithyA w.r.t. context, but that is not a correct
translation.

The question comes to my mind, if this world is not a creation i.e. NirguNa
not becoming saguNA and then creating via mAyA, then how is this world
created. Hence niguNa has to be transformed into saguNa. How can nirguNA
get associated with mAyA?

The answer is - explanation is given on adhikARa bheda. So creation,
Brahman becoming this world, etc, are given and later on they are negated.
This is found in shruti and Gita and Bhagavatam. It is called adhyAropa
apavAda (BG 13.12-13 Shankara Bhashya)
.

So first the natural question is satisfied by saying this world is created,
as one lives in duality, that too in deha-bhAva hence
an explanation is given
for creation as in pancIkaraNa prakriyA. Later on when consciousness is
lifted to a higher level, that assumption is negated.

When a shruti teaches us taking an e.g. of Indra, experiencing 5 sheaths
and finally atman, we think of an evolution, progressing from gross to
subtle. But here too if we observe carefully, it is leaving of 5 sheaths
i.e. detachment from 5 sheaths one-by-one. Hence what you are doing is
rising above, diving deep, becoming aware of subtle sheaths, but what is
actually happening is you are detaching 5 sheaths as you become aware. If
you stay obsessed  with any of 5 sheaths or 3 bodies (sthuLa, sukshma,
kAraNa), then you cannot progress ahead.

Top-down: negation, detachment, dis-association
Bottom-up: arise, ascend, merge, etc

If we say that think only of Ishvara and live only for him, here too, one
is filled with sattva guNa. But then, has he not renounced tamas and rajas
:)

The first step is actually doing doSa darshan and become sAdhana-sampana (4
qualities). Then the word mithyA should be introduced.

Real is two - Relative reality and absolute reality.

This world we experience is relative reality. How? because it's existence
depends upon our consciousness in waking state. For the one who is
sleeping, this world does not exists. Hence it is relative reality.
Consciousness alone matters :)

Only Brahman is absolute reality. How?

When I say: I see this world, I dream, I was sleeping, 'I' am sick, 'I' am
body, 'I' ... There is always 'I', the first person, hence there is 'You' -
second person and 'He' - third person. The existence of 'I' - first person
is Self evident. Without this 'I' there is no second person too. Hence the
common this is 'I'. Ask - Who am 'I' or search 'I'. even abhAva or
non-existence can be known e.g. you are told that there is a temple in next
lane, but upon reaching the next lane, you come to know that there is no
temple. Here too, who is the knower of 'non-existence of temple' (advaita
accepts all 6 pramANa-s - anaupalabhi.

If I say, I am Jiva and then go on to say, I am Brahman, I sound egoist.
But there is an a priori - that I am Jiva. Lets say, I is Brahman in stead
of 'I am Brahman'. This makes things easy. Now to remove a priori, ask, -
Is I jiva?. In fact it is due to wrong identification we say 'I am Jiva' -
this itself is ego. It is not ego ti say what you are 'Brahman'. But we do
not know 'Brahman', hence the search begins to find this 'I' - the first
person, always accompanying, ever present and the statement ' I am That' is
realized. 'AM' is important. It makes this statement non-dual. After
knowing the true 'I', the laxyarth of this statement 'I am That (Brahman)'
or simply 'I am Brahman' is realized as direct experience. This is a
meditative journey.

As said by Sadananda ji, everything that is within mAyA is mithyA. Due to
us being trapped in mAyA, we are wearing coloured glasses having 3 shades,
hence we perceive this world accordingly, remove glasses, reality is
experienced 'As it is'.

Aum

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna