[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 06:38:14 CST 2013

Dear Nitin bhai,

I think unreal does not mean mithyA. Or say what is the english word for
asatya?

Satya = Real / truth
asatya = ?
mithyA (in between) = ? - that which is transient experience.

My English is poor

Also what is the difference between anitya and mithyA?

According to my understanding, anitya means that which is non-self and is
perishable. So if I destroy a cloth, it's irreversible end product is ash,
which is visible.

While in snake-rope analogy, when snake disappears, it does not leave any
trace, like it's curved path, etc.

Adi Shankara in Tatva Bodh defines both anitya and mithya separately.

In Jnana Drishti, the world is negated and not destroyed. that is nirvikalp
samadhi. Then there is another word, satvam khalu-idam brahma. 'Idam' :)

Sri Ramana Maharshi says, when you look at shadow, then sun is not visible,
when you look at sun, you cannot see shadow. Similarly, when you clearly
experience this world, you do not experience Brahman. when you clearly
experience Brahman which world is not visible.

Body is Jnani is Jnana itself (consciousness). It is not physical body, but
the substratum of entire universe is his body (i.e. Brahman).

Aum

OM

Sujal Upadhyay