[Advaita-l] Iswara Darshanam - 6

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 02:22:42 CST 2013

Since the message was too long, it has been clipped into four parts
_________
PART - I
_________

PraNam-s Sadananda ji

Thank you for sharing this great info.

I found a few interesting thng from Gita Bhashya of Vaishnava acharyas,
which I would Like to share.

I was searching for the word param pada, dhAma, and was studying that anya
devatA verse BG 9.25. In brief, no acharya has said translated or ever
explained the word pada or dhAma as a celestial adobe Vaikuntha. Infact
htye have not mentioned the word Vaikuntha. VallabhAcArya Bhashya has word
'Vaikuntha' does seeing all verses in context, I came to conclusion that

dhAma = pada = deSa = jyoti / prakASa = consciousness = Jnana

Please find detailed info. Kindly note that I am not a sanskrit scholar, so
Vallabh bhashya, which is only available in sanskrit at Gita super site has
to be checked thoroughly.

Here is what I have found

----------------------------------

*Anya-devata Worship*

----------------------------------

Vaishnava-s say that they do not worship anya-devata (other Gods), as
Krishna (ViShNu / NArAyaNa) is the Supreme Godhead. In support of their
claim, they cite a verse 9.25 from Bhagavad Gita.

यान्ति देवव्रता देवान् पितृ़न्यान्ति पितृव्रताः।
भूतानि यान्ति भूतेज्या यान्ति मद्याजिनोऽपि माम्।।9.25।।

yānti dēvavratā dēvān pitṛnyānti pitṛvratāḥ.
bhūtāni yānti bhūtējyā yānti madyājinō.pi mām..9.25..

English translation by Swami Gambhirananda

9.25 Votaries of the gods reach the gods; the votaries of the manes go to
the manes; the worshippers of the Beings reach the Beings; and those who
worship Me reach Me.

OR

9.25 Worshippers of the gods (devata-s (deva-s) ascend and stay in
deva-loka; the worshippers of the ancestors (staying on chandra-loka) go to
the manes (chandra-loka); the worshippers of the Ghosts (bhUta, piSAca)
 reach their loka; and those who worship Me (Ishvara) reach Me.

*Note:** Deva-loka means heaven. Chandra means moon. Loka can be taken as
kingdom. Just like there is earth kingdom, there is sun-kingdom,
moon-kingdom,  etc.*

Sri RAmAnuja explains the meaning of the word 'Vrita' mean 'will'.

The worship here refers to kAmya-karma i.e. worshipping done with some
objective in mind i.e. to fulfill our desires or for peace and spiritual
progress of our ancestors. There are rituals mentioned in verses which
mimAmsaka-s follow. They do not consider that all actions and their fruits
has to be surrendered to Ishvara. They think that veda-s give us fruits of
rituals and in general veda-s give fruits of our deeds. Bhagavad Gita is
the essence of Upanishads and hence it is a moksha shastra. Gita is not
dharma-shastra-s which teach us religious observances, nor it is an agama,
which deals with idol worship, temple construction and consecration of
deities. Like the upanishads, Gita also talks about renouncing vedic rites.
In this context, the verse under discussion says that instead of
worshipping other Gods for personal benefits or even for universal benefit,
one should worship Ishvara. It should be noted that a seeker, who has
purified his mind by doing vedic rites and rituals has to drop the very
karma that gave him inner purity and move ahead to Atma Jnana. Hence vedic
rites and other kinds of worships are discouraged by Bhagavan fo a devotee
who lives his life only and only for Ishvara and wants nothing else.

It should be noted that the verse does not contain the word 'Vaikuntha'. We
have picked up this verse as this verse specifically deals with doing
worship and as a merit of worship, one attains or stays in the loka of a
deity worshipped. In other words, this verse talks about devata-worship and
their loka-s. Kindly note that the word used by Bhagavan is not 'my loka'.
Bhagavan says, those who worship me attain 'Me'. None of the acharya-s have
translated the word 'me' as 'loka'. All acharya-s include Adi Shankara,
four Vaishnav acharya-s, Shreedhar Svami (hid commentary is accepted by
Nimbarka sampradAya) and Abhinava Gupta (Kashmir Shaivism).

It should be noted that Shiva is considered as Ishvara and not just a
devata (demi-God). Hence this verse excludes Shiva / Rudra. None of the
acharya-s have clarified on this verse that Ishvara (Shiva) is also anya
devata in this verse. Typically, Sri Rudram is advised to be daily chanted
even by the Vaishnava-s. While studying agama-s, which deal with procedures
of temple worship, one school teaches both shaiva and vaishnava agama-s.
According to Kanchi Paramacharya, while learning VAilhAnasa, a Vaishnava
agama (other being pAncharAtra), Brahmins conducted puja in Shiva temples
are are called Shivayogins. Under the same roof (ghaTikA-s, big school
teaching various subjects), vaishnava and shaiva agamas were taught
(Source: Guru Tradition, Page 153).

We will find that nowhere in Gita there is a description or even the
mention of the word Vaikuntha. I am not aware of Upanishads, which talk
about Vaikuntha, at least not the principle upanishads.

contd ...

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna