[Advaita-l] Eternal Loka

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 00:21:21 CDT 2013

Just adding another dimension to the reply given already:

Also, if the vaikuntha/kailasa is held to be different from the created
loka-s, the above logic would apply here as well.  The created loka-s, if
real, would limit the vaikuntha.  For the loka-s are not vaikuntha and vice
versa.  If it is said that vaikuntha is infinite and encompasses the
created worlds too, then it would amount to vishnu being subject to svagata
bheda which will go against the shruti describing Brahman as 'prajnAna
ghana, saindhava ghanavat, ' etc.  This shruti does not permit any object
that is not brahman 'in' brahman.  It will give rise to a situation of
brahman having several holes in itself.  If it is further urged that the
loka-s and the beings there as well as those in vaikuntha (mukta jivas) are
all completely pervaded by Brahman and therefore there is no desha
pariccheda, then it is required to be answered as to how is this possible.
Supposing there is a metal pot of 15 liters capacity, which is one mm
thick. I immerse it in a pond and the water goes inside the pot and covers
the pot outside too.  Still the water has not occupied the one mm thick
wall of the pot.  Such will be the situation of the brahman pervading the
lokas/beings if these are held absolutely different from brahman.

If it is urged that all the beings are chitsvarUpa in vaikuntha and brahman
too is so, then the difference is only aupachArika, by courtesy, like
having several gold ornaments which notionally inhere in gold.  The names
and forms of the ornaments are only in name, and not real.  It will be like
gold, brahman,  itself assuming several names and forms and playing out a
mAyik drama.    In any case, the absolute advaitic position can never be
escaped by non-advaitic schools.

regards
vs