[Advaita-l] Lilithopakhyana vs. Lalithasahasra

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Sun Aug 4 11:05:14 CDT 2013

//
Yes it is possible that Upakhyana and sahasranama arose in South India or that the authors were south Indian.
//

One of the great upAsakAs told me that the place of Lalita Sahasranama rachana is
the premises of Kamakshi Temple in Kanchipuram.

It is said that there is a rahasya sthala identified by Mahaperiyava which was known as
hayagriva mutt.  This is the place where the hayagriva-agastya samvAda took place.

The "chidagni kuNDa" mentioned in the name is the gAyatri mantapam in kAmAkshi temple.
In the IshAnya sthAna of this mantapa, there is a pillar.  There is a small hole inside which
is filled with kumkuma.   This "sukshma randhra" is said to be the "nAbhi-sthAna".

Mother Kamakshi is none other than Devi Lalita.  Some of the names like "kAmakOTikA", "kAmakOTimahApadmapITasthA" (vide ashtottara nAmA) hints this divine place called Kanchi.

My guruji got a vision here in gAyatri mantapam and a melodious sloka gushed forth as:

praNavAkruti ratna manDapE
shrutimAtrA samamEkatAM gatE
niratAM nirataM krupAparAM
hrudi kAnchipuranAyikAM bhajE