[Advaita-l] Vikalpa, Savikalpa, and Nirvikalpa

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 15:17:13 CDT 2012

>Accordingly, the dyana of the 6th chapter of the Gita is not an
>alternative to any other method but the only sadhana of Vedanta.  The
>other references are fthe Kathopanishad 'yacched vAngmanasI
>praajnaH....' etc.

Subbuji
– PraNAms

In
Slokas 57 and 58 of Ch. I of Panchadasi – Shree Vidyaranya talks about adaptation
of yogic method of nidhidhyasana and then refers to Ch6 of Gita sloka – yathaa deepo
nivaatashthaH – saying that this is what Krishna taught to Arjuna – yogic method
of nidhidhyasana differs from Vedantic method as exemplified in the sloka -brahmaarpaNam
.. brahma karma samadhinaa –where  nidhidhyaasana involves, while transacting in the
world, recognizing kartaa-karma-kriya-kaaraka-phala – all are Brahman. Implication
is the adaptation of the yogic method of nidhidhyaasanam is different from that
of Vedantic method – granted that the end result is to remove the pratibhandas
due to inadequate chitta suddhi so that jnaanam gained by shravana and manana
becomes internalized.
I was discussing these slokas only last week.
Hari
Om!
Sadananda