[Advaita-l] Ramana's method

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Oct 10 06:51:55 CDT 2012

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I think you got the reply to your question.  Let me clarify emphatically:
it was with reference to a question put by a jijnAsu who has vedAdhikAra
that the reply was given.

>  Thanks for the clarification, now it is clear that vedAdhikAri jignAsu
asking this question after doing sufficient vedAdhyayana, his intention in
asking that question is not about the mandatory requirement of the
vedAdhyayana for the vedAdhikAri-s instead it is a question relating to
the adhyayana of the other prakaraNa grantha-s, sUtra & sUtra  bhAshya
AFTER vedAdhyayana or shAstrAdhyayana.  That is very clear from the below
question of his :

It was in the context of the question 'is it
essential that one understands all the bhashyas and vyAkhyAna-s of the
Upanishads and the Brahmasutras, Advaita siddhi, and other texts for
getting moksha?'  For this question was the reply that I had quoted.

>  Here jignAsu asking whether he has to continue to study all the
upanishad vyAkhyAna, bhAshya (note it is not about upanishad itself),
advaita siddhi and other prakaraNa graNtha-s to do brahma jignAsa??  he is
not asking here whether for the vedAdhikAri, vedAdhyayana is essential or
not.  So in this context Sri Mani Dravid ShastrigaL's reply is very apt
and it does not suggest any alternative for the vedAdhyana
(shAstrAdhyayana)  for the vedAdhikAri.  Yes, if you are not clear despite
doing shAstra adhyayana, you can refer some other prakaraNa grantha where
the purport of shAstra has been  explained with more clarity. This does
not anyway mean that Sri ShastrigaL finding an alternative for
vedAdhyayana  in prakaraNa grantha study.  If he is recommending prakaraNa
grantha instead of veda-s for brama jignAsa then it is clear that he was
suggesting an alternative method.  But from your explanation it is clear
that that is not the case.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar