[Advaita-l] Ramana's method

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Oct 10 04:39:41 CDT 2012

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

The problem lies in what one understands by the term 'shAstra'.

>  shAstra here is veda-s which is shruti not smruti texts, though it is
(smruti) pramANa it is not called as shruti.

Even those who do not have vedAdhikAra are not barred from studying the
BhagavadgItA
which is one of the prasthAnatraya.

>  I agree, but you have not answered my query, whether Sri mani dravida
shAstrigaL is recommeding prakaraNa granTha for those who have
vedAdhikAra.  Can a vaidhika (or a vedAdhikAri) skip vedAdhyayana and do
the brahma jignAsa with prakaraNa granTha-s??

 Supposing a person studies the gitA
along with the Acharya's bhashya, will that not be called
shAstrAdhyayana/upadesha?

>  smruti, itihAsa, purAna etc. also valid for the aspirants who donot
have vedAdhikAra.  I am not questioning that, my question is too specific
to Sri Mani dravita shAstrigaL's observation.

The 'antyaprAmANya' will happily apply to this
too.

>  I dont think so, untya pramANa status can be attributed ONLY to the
shruti-s i.e. veda-s in general, vedAnta in particular. Since smruti is
paurusheya it cannot be called as untya pramANa, though it is one of the
pramANa grantha.

In fact one will get more clarity of the Upanishadic literature from
the Gita and the bhashya since the smRti is admitted to be following the
shruti and a kind of vyAkhyAnam of the shruti.

>  yes, but when smruti goes against shruti, shruti is untya pramANa, we
should not try to interpret shruti holding smruti as pramANa, it should be
other way round.

The Bh.Gita has enough
content to address and even engender true brahmajijnAsA.

> yes, hence it is called geeta shAstra but it is NOT a substitute for the
shruti which is untya pramANa in brahma jignAsa.

'tadviddhi praNipAtena pariprashnena sevayA., upadekShyanti te jnAnam
jnAninaH
tattvadarshinaH.'  Shankara even goes to the extent of adding here that
the
'tattvadarshI' is an aparoksha jnAni.

>  Yes, to know or to realize that tattva shruti is the pramANa.  As long
as smruti or paurusheya texts goes in line with shruti purports there is
no problem in accepting smruti as pramANa.  But it is not an alternative
for the vedAdhikAri-s to say smruti or some prakaraNa text is enough for
the realization.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar