[Advaita-l] Vijaya Yatra & Bhaja Govindam by ISKCON

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon May 7 20:15:19 CDT 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 2:18 AM, Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com
> wrote:

> In one of the lectures during the current Yatra, Sringeri Periyava talks
> about how Adi Sankara taught through prasada traya bhashyams and prakarana
> granthas.

It is 'prasthAna trayam' which consists of the Brahma sutras, the
Upanishads and the Bhagavadgita along with the shAnkara Bhashyam. In a way
it is a prasAda.

> Starting from upadesa sahasri with thousand verses to eka sloki
> with just one verse. And those who don't have interest in even prakarana
> granthas, he taught Bhaja Govindam. At ISKCON, there is an injunction to
> not read Sankara Bhashyam but here is a rendition of Bhaja Govindam by
> devotees at Los Angeles. Jivan mukti is accepted by both schools with
> different meanings.

Many hymnal works of Shankaracharya such as the RanganAthAShTakam, the
GovindAShTakam, JagannAthAShTakam, ViShNu ShaTpadI stotram are favorites of
SriVaishNavas.  I have heard Sri Velukkudi Krishnan Swami reciting with
reverence a part of the RanganAthAShTakam saying that it is a composition
of Shankara.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v