[Advaita-l] Sankhya and Yoga can give Moksha?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 22:53:47 CDT 2012

Namaste Sri Vidyasankara

Sri V Subrahmanian said -

18.13: sAnkhye = VedAnte.  //which have been spoken of; sankhye, in Vedanta
- sankhya is that scripture where the subject-matters In the sentence,
'Thou art That', the word Thou means the individual Self, and That means
Brahman. The comprehension of their unity, and also 'hearing, reflection
and meditation' are referred to as the subject-matters. to be known are
fully (samyak) stated (khyayante)-; krtante, in which actions terminate.
KrtAnte qualifies that very word (Vedanta).//

This shows that according to Shankara the term 'sAnkhya' is completely
Vedantic.

>From this I asked questions regarding Sankhya.

>> What is correct?
>>
>> Yoga = Sravana + Manana + Nididhyasana
>>
>> OR
>>
>> Yoga = Sravana + Manana + Nididhyasana + Yogic Practice like Asana,
>> Pranayama, Dharana, Dhyana and Samadhi
>>
>> Which is correct?
>>

> Already answered in the second paragraph of my response above. In addition, when
> sUtrabhAshya 2.1.3 says vaidikam eva jnAnaM dhyAnaM ca with respect to sAMkhya
> and yoga, it refers to the jnAna imparted through SravaNa of aupanishada AtmajnAna
> and to the dhyAna involved in manana and nididhyAsana on the Sruti vAkya-s that
> convey said jnAna. Yogic practices like yama, niyama, Asana etc are fully accepted as
> aids in this process. jnAna sahakAri kAraNatvAt, says bhagavatpAda in chapter 13 of
> the gItAbhAshya, when talking of the amAnitvAdi guNa-s. And if you look under the
> bhAshya on chapter 2 for sthitaprajna lakshaNa-s and the entire chapter 6, you will
> find that dhyAna yoga is seen as an inseparable and integral part (antaranga) of
> Atma-jnAna-nishThA.
>
> Regards,
> Vidyasankar

You are here saying Sankhya is same as Jnana friom Sravana of Vedanta
Vakyas. Yoga is Dhyana of Manana and Nididhyasana.

When Gita is saying Sankya and Yoga it is not always the Sankhya and
Yoga Darshanas but may be different.

It is appearing Sankhya and Yoga are used in with many meanings. It is
good to give a list of all meanings for Sankhya and Yoga.

--
Regards

-Venkatesh