[Advaita-l] Comments of an ISCKON follower

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 00:56:10 CDT 2012

Here is one explanation of 'sAyujya mukti' from the Madhwa system:

The devatA-s who have originated from the various organs of Hari's body,
remain in those respective parts and experience/enjoy the Ananda destined
for each of them is called sAyujya mukti. They enter Hari's body and
experience various activities as seeing, going, coming, etc. through Hari's
organs.  This is considered a very great boon.  But there is no compulsion
that one has to be in Hari's body alone for this mukti.
[source: the Kannada book 'matra traya sameekShA' by Dr.A.V.Nagasampige, a
noted scholar of the Dvaita school]

I just heard Sri Velukudi Krishnan Swami, a noted scholar of
Vishishtadvaita say: 'parama sAmyApatti' is the sAyujya mukti according to
this school.  This involves the jiva going to Vaikuntha and attaining all
the 'attributes' of Vishnu like satyakAmatva, satyasamkalpatva, and
enjoying the bhoga that Vishnu enjoys, along with Him, in His measure.
They hold the Taittiriya Upanishad passage सोऽश्नुते सर्वान् कामान् सह
ब्रह्मणा विपश्चितेति and the Mundakopanishad passage 3.1.3  तदा विद्वान
पुण्यपापे विधूय निरञ्जनः परमं साम्यमुपैति as the basis for this mukti.
They say: Vishnu 'gives' these jiva-s His own self.'

In any case we can easily see that all this happens with the individuality
of the jiva remaining in tact even in such sAyujya mukti.  Advaita does not
have any such concept.  We have the total giving up as mithyA the jivatvam
and realizing one's Brahmatvam.  There is no 'sAyujyam' in this.  The very
word 'sAyujya' involves a two-entity pre-requisite where one 'joins' the
other, yet the two entities  remaining in tact.  In Advaita there is only
one Reality which is to be realized.  There is no joining something/someone
else.  That forms the core of the sAyujya mukti concept and hence is not in
any way the Advaitic mukti.

subrahmanian.v