[Advaita-l] Women and Paramahamsa sannyasa

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Fri Mar 16 23:59:02 CDT 2012

Namaste,

////

In practical contemporary terms, there are quite a few examples of women
who have been invested with the external symbols of saMnyAsa by some of
the most orthodox and learned leaders of the vedAnta traditions

///

During the time of Sivabhinava Nrisimha Bharati of Sringeri, a great yogini (not married)
was given turiya ashrama with daNDa & kamaNDala in Sringeri itself.  Later, she
was given yoga paTTa chanDikAnanda bhArati.   She almost performed 260 chAturmAsya
vratAs.

She had several yogic powers and one such is that she could control her monthly menstrual periods by her own will.  She used to go away to some remote place, place
her daNDa and kamaNDala in a temple, used to observe fast (without touching a drop of water) for 5 days.  On the 5th day, used to perform prAyaschitta karma with prANAyAma
and adopt the daNDa & kamaNDala again.

She shed her mortal coil by holding her breath in kumbhaka and pierced the brahmarandhra.  Her antyESTi was performed in the banks of ganges which was attented by by friend. My friend's upanayana samskAra was performed under the supervision of this
yogini who also presented her ochre robe as a token of present during upanayana. It is still intact at my friend's house.

regs,
sriram