[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Jun 29 05:33:56 CDT 2012

I fail to see why the prAmANya of Sruti needs to be further validated by
appealing to a logical proof that establishes its apaurusheyatva,
especially
given the svataH-prAmANya-vAda

Humble sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare krishna

As I said earlier, I am not familiar with pUrva mimAmsaka's vAda with
regard to aparusheyatva of veda-s and how advaitins would differ from
their stand.  Could you please suggest me a work which exclusively deals
with this subject.

IMHO, those who are questioning the aparusheyatva of veda-s (frankly, I
too gradually becoming skeptical in this issue, ofcourse against my will
:-)) do not questioning the validity of veda-s.  Those who are doubting
the apaurushetatva can still treat veda-s as a valid pramANa along with
other well known paurusheya smruti and nyAya grantha-s like geeta &
sUtra-s.  So, the question, whether veda-s are paurusheya or apaurusheya
and the answer in either way do not come in the way of validity of veda-s.
 sAdhaka-s, who can still have conviction that veda-s are the valid
pramANa for the karma/brahma jignAsa irrespective of its paurusheya or
apaurusheya status.  But I reckon, veda-s & its origin  can be
investigated without harming the unquestionable  validity of the same.
Moreover, if I remember correctly, you had said earlier, svataH pramANya
of veda-s is not a supporting argument to prove veda's apaurusheyatva and
you also said, before questioning anything on apaurusheyatva of veda-s,
one must understand what is meant by the word 'apaurusheyatva'.  In my
layman's understanding 'apaurusheya' means not purusha kruta (not even by
god/brahman) it is anAdi, ananta without any specific human/divine
intelliegence behind it, etc. If this understanding is not correct, kindly
educate me prabhuji what exactly the meaning of the word 'apaurusheya'
when traditionalists say 'veda-s are apaurusheya.

And also kindly allow me to ask a fundamental (or stupid) question.  Who
assigned the status of self-validity (svataH prAmANyaM) to the veda-s !!??
 Do veda-s anywhere mention, whatever I say with regard to karma/brahma is
final & pramANya for that is in itself and assertions/declaration what you
find in me are not subject to any further query/investigation..Or is this
svataH prAmANya status has been granted by saMpradAyavida-s who are having
an undoubted  conviction in the veda's embedded ultimate teachings on
ateendriya karma phala-s & bhuma vishaya?? Please clarify prabhuji.

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar