[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jun 27 04:25:36 CDT 2012

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

In just one remark, a true mark of an eminent scholar of his genre, he
dismissed the possibility of accommodating the above theory into the
Vaidika method of thinking:

>  Yes, one of the scholars, (who does not have enough time to participate
in this discussion) off the list told me that :

//quote//

My opinion is that the theory of evolution is probably not compatible with
the Vedas, but I also think it is a serious scientific theory.

// unquote//

>  So, without scratching our head to arrive at a logical conclusion with
regard to apaurusheyatva of veda-s, as Sri Vidya prabhuji suggested, it is
better to take it 'as it is given' since it is  an axiomatic statement
which has the base in saMpradAya and Apta vAkya.
He said, in Tamil: 'avA tarkattai vecchunDuthAne chollara, adu eppaDi oru
tIrmAnamAgum?' [They say
only based on tarka, logic.  How can it be a conclusive proof?]

>  Yes, tarka never ends when it is not supported by shruti
(shrutyanugraheeta tarka)!!  But the 'subject' in question is 'shruti's /
veda's apaurusheyatva'!!?? so, in this case we cannot take 'shruti'
pramANa to prove veda's apaurusheyatva!! And, I donot know how pUrva
meemAmsaka-s justified this claim.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar