[Advaita-l] Apoureshyatva - Faith or Logic?

Shyam shyam_md at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 16:54:00 CDT 2012

Pranams Shri Rameshji

"I have seen some of your writings on these topics on the advaitin list. Needless to say, your views and even your basic approach to such issues are far removed from mine"

Given your views on extraterrestrials and nonhumans in other planets obtaining vedic knowledge of a different variety I do not find this in the least surprising and consider it a blessing that my views are far removed from yours. Please do not feel compelled to engage.

"You are totally misrepresenting my position."

That would be difficult to do even if I wished to for the simple fact that your own "position" is extremely muddled, as is evident when you state two contradictory things:

A.
"The question is
whether our traditional philosophies can accommodate evolutionary
ideas"

and also state

B.
"My stance is that the essential teaching/insights of the Veda, and
also the prAmANya of the Veda, are **orthogonal** to scientific
theories such as biological evolution."

The fact that Vedic dictums are orthogonal to scientific theories-  both fact-based and fantasy based - means that there is no question of accomodation.
The very question of accomodation comes in only if there are overlapping domains. Please be clear in your own mind wheter you consider the two orthogonal or overlapping.

Let me also add that by
"essential teachings/insights of the Veda" I am referring to the
teachings concerning mokSha and dharma. To be even more clear, I am
referring to a) the mahAvAkya and related teachings, and b) vaidika
karma and related teachings.

Why this specification - the entire Veda deals with dharma and moksha alone.