[Advaita-l] tIrtha yAtrA related question

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 26 01:23:47 CDT 2012

Dear Shri Sriramji,

>I have a copy of dharma sindhu and referred to the vidhi & nishedhAs of tirtha yAtra.
>But could not find the clause that one should not do tirtha yAtra during adhika mAsa.
>If you don't mind, could you please share the sloka, adhyAya details etc.  I will try to
>find out again.

Please see the section "atha malamAse varjyAni" in the first
pariccheda. The very first sentence contains the word "tIrthAdiyAtrA"
under the list of prohibitions. Later he
clarifies it as "apUrvatIrthadevadarshanam", visiting a tIrtha not
visited before.

>As per the skAnda purANa (avanti khaNDa), adhika mAsa is supposed to be
>very auspicious month for dharma kAryAs & tirtha yAtra.  However, since the
>forthcoming adhika mAsa falls during the chAturmAsya vrata, IMHO, tirtha yAtra
>to any place is not advisable during this chAturmAsya period.  Corrections are
>welcome.

Please let me know the reference which recommends against tIrtha yAtrA
during the chAturmAsya period.

Anand