[Advaita-l] Adi Sankara condemns Jagat Nimitta Karana Vada of Ananda Teertha

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:17:18 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Rajaram Venkataramani <
rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the official Advaita position on other religions and vedic
> traditions which believe the ultimate goal is eternal life with God? Many
> devotees across traditions only aspire for a blissful eternal life. Do they
> get it like getting reborn after mahapralaya?

As has been clarified several times before, Advaita considers all  types of
moksha  other than the Advaitic one as only sApeksha, or relative.
Wherever there is duality it is not complete freedom from avidyA.  To your
last question, I would say that it is not like being reborn after
mahapralaya where one would start with a young body and grow up, etc.  As
it is the case with DevatA sharIras the jiva will suddenly appear in that
loka and live there till the karma phala exhausts and instantly disappear
from there thereupon and take birth in other lokas as per destiny.  So, I
would say that the mukta devotee will travel, upon death, to
brahma/vishnu/shiva/goloka or its similar ones, and remain there in the
company of others including their chosen Deity, eternally serving Him and
enjoying His glories.  The visishtadvaita system holds that the mukta will
be engaged in sAmagAnam too in Vaikuntha.

subrahmanian.v